Monday, March 1, 2010

Traveling to Spain

This may be a long one!

I had no problems at the airport in Charlotte but my plane was delayed 2 hours in New Jersey because of the snow storm. They cancelled all other flights but not the international ones (I guess they cost too much). After we boarded we drove to the plane car wash (as I like to call it) where they de-iced the plane so we could fly. Finally we were off! Thankfully I slept most of the 7 hour flight to Madrid. I think the wine sampler I had at the restaurant helped with this. When I arrived in Madrid it was a really long walk through a glass type bridge thingy then through customs. I got my 2 suitcases and carry on and thankfully a man helped me put them on a rolly cart ('un carrito'). I went to information and found out where to buy my train ticket. Went and bought it and got a cab. I got ripped off on the way to the train station, the guy at the info. desk told me it would cost no more that 30 euros but the guy charged me 35! What was I to do? Then I had to lug those stupid suitcases through the cobblestone street to the train station. I got another carrito and another nice man helped me load em up. Finally my train arrived and I went to meet it. The lady told me I was to go the first car but I thought she meant the first one at the opposite end.... soo after going all the way to the end of the train taking my suitcases off and putting them on the train I realized I was in the wrong car. :( I got off connected my luggage together and ran to the end I started at. There the man checking tickets tried to tell me I was only allowed 20kg of luggage. I told him I didn't understand kg only libres (pounds) and he told me he only understood kg. So eventually he said I had too many bags... I asked him what was I to do, I have to get on the train, I already bought my ticket... Finally he let me on. I still had to find a place to put all those stupid bags! I wanted to cry! I'm sure being completely exhausted and hungry didn't help the emotional state of things. I ate my bocadillo ( a sandwich ) and took a nap. When I woke up I talked to the boy across from me from France, a little in English a lot in Spanish and I felt better. He was very nice and helped me unload my bags. I took another cab to the place I'm staying. This time I didn't get ripped off. :) At last I had arrived! The place is beautiful and the landlord Cristina is very nice. She cooked a tortilla de patatas which is an egg and potato omelet which is really good, then I took a shower and got ready for bed. Tried to use the Internet but it didn't work. Cristina let me use her computer to e-mail Jason and then I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment